November 26, 2012

Osso Bucco by Tim Ferriss, The Four Hour Chef

I just ordered three copies of The Four Hour Chef by Tim Ferriss.  Looking forward to receiving it and trying out Tim's version of my favorite dish, Osso Bucco. I tried Osso Bucco at a Reykjavik restaurant a few years ago and fell in love. The trick is to leave it in the oven for at least two hours; you want the meat to literally fall off the bones.

Vicki E of the WWIE blog provides some info on Tim's recipe with great pictures. As you can see, Osso Bucco is rather simple and requires only three basic ingredients: 1) Veal shanks, 2) Carrots, 3) Tomatoes. Instead of veal shanks you can use lamb shanks. I prefer shanks with larger bones so that the bone marrow falls out. Tim uses canned tomatoes. My preference is using large, fresh tomatoes and dice them up. I also like to sear the meat a little in the pot to bring out more flavor. The fond at the bottom of the pot brings out more flavor.  It's just personal preference. Add some white or red wine, salt, pepper and some other spices, and your good to go.

###