December 6, 2012

Making Osso Bucco

Just to follow up on my previous post about Osso Bucco, one of my favorite dishes, here is my recipe, with pictures and all. It's super simple.

Key ingredient:
- Veal shanks
- Carrots
- Tomatoes

Other ingredients:
- Onion
- Celery
- White wine or beef stock
- Butter, olive oil, salt, and pepper

Just sear some veal shanks in olive oil and grass fed butter. It's good to put just a little flour on the meat.   Sear it for about 3-4 minutes on each side.  I like shanks with larger bones as they have more bone marrow.

Remove the meat and throw in a mix of finely chopped onion, carrots and celery. Soften it a little in olive oil.

Once softened, put the vegetables aside.


Then pile everything in the pot. Carrots, meat on top, and then throw in a bunch of tomatoes. I added one can of whole tomatoes in there and 3-4 large fresh tomatoes as well.  I squeeze the tomatoes to get the juices out. Then I pour some dry white wine in the pot, maybe half a bottle. Or if you prefer, use beef stock instead. Add some salt and pepper and any other spices you like.


Lastly, I pour the vegetable mix on top. (Or whatever, this is not science.)


Throw it in the oven at 190 degrees Celsius or 375 Fahrenheit and leave it there for 2+ hours while you drink the rest of the white wine.


This is what it looks like:


I am interested in experimenting with cooking this for even longer period of time. I suppose I would then reduce the heat a bit and leave it there for say 4 hours?  I think the meat will be even more tender that way; you want it to literally fall off the bone. Does anyone have experience with this they want to share?

###

7 comments:

Vicki E said...

Kris ~ I am so glad that you shared this with me! Seriously, I was just going to check on the blog this morning & then go into the kitchen to make this... and here was your comment. Talk about perfect timing! I'm using lamb arm chops (got a good deal at the market yesterday)& wanted to cook them a la Osso Bucco'ish. I'll make them your way & let you know about the slower/lower cooking time.

Did you cook it in a Braiser? (if so, what Qt. size is it?) I've just got an enameled c/i Dutch Oven, but was thinking of getting a Braiser, too. Is it worth the extra cabinet space? I sure like the looks of a Braiser, but since I'm new to the whole 'braising thing', I don't know if it really works out better than a Dutch Oven. Your thoughts?

Oh, and is it OK to use/add your Osso Bucco picture to my O/B post, as an 'Update'? I'll add your blog name & website to the photo, along with the link to your recipe post. I'm getting a lot of traffic on this post & would like to share how you've 'upped' the flavor ante.

Cheers!

Vicki E said...

p.s ~ I was thinking of using the last photo & having all your info on it.

dwpandq said...

Looks great, Kris. I am Vicki's friend Dan.

KTBlog said...

Vicki,

Braiser or dutch oven works just fine, I think. Mine is small, about 3 1/2 qts, pretty inexpensive dutch oven by Lodge that I picked up at WalMart or something . For larger dinner parties it would be better to have a larger braiser, but I've been just using a large pot. Works just as good.

Feel free to use my pictures in your blog.

Best,
Kris

KTBlog said...

Dan, Thanks for stopping by.

Vicki E said...

Kris,
To that original OB post, I've added one of your photos, talked about it & linked back to your post.

Our meal today was wonderful! I tweaked it a bit and added some bell pepper, garlic & rosemary ~ so very good!

I've added your picture to Pinterest, so you might get some traffic from there. I've also added your post link to my blog's Facebook page.

Looking forward to your next recipe post. You are one fine cook!

Cheers!
Vicki E

James GuAnzon said...

Great recipe and pictures! Thank you!!!